Item: Zoning & Building Compliance Certificate
What is included in the Compliance Certificate?
The following is a list of some of the information provided:
- Orders and Notices – records of outstanding violations on the
property issued by the Building Department and Bylaw Enforcement.
- Zoning & Official Plan – the current zoning(s) and Official
Plan Land use designation applied to the property.
- Committee of Adjustment – all variance and consents linked to the property.
- Heritage Status – if the property is listed or designated as a
Historical property or has historical structures or elements.
- List of issued Building Permits – review based on previous 15
- Outstanding Inspections for Issued Permits – a listing of all
permits where inspections are not complete. In the case of a new
building, this may prohibit occupancy. (review based on previous 15
- Property Information – including Legal Description, Lot size and
date house was built (where available).
Why do I need a Compliance Certificate?
Mortgage lenders, seeking to protect their investment, or lawyers,
seeking to protect client interests often ask for a compliance letter.
Compliance certificates are most commonly required as a part of real
estate purchasing contracts.
If the property in question is residential with 4 units or
more, it qualifies under the “Industrial, Commercial or
One (1) Business Day requests subject to confirmation with Community
Services Division prior to submission, phone 519-332-0330 ext. 3301 or