Unfortunately the email address is used as the “Username”. This encourages members to update their email address when it changes, so that you always have the most up-to-date contact information.
Therefore, it is best if member's without an email address setup a free account with one of the many web-based email services such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. This allows the member to receive a copy of their email confirmation, along with your regular email communications.
Alternatively, you can ask member’s without a valid email to enter a fake email address using their first & last name and the ending of your own organization's email addresses. For example:
- Susan Smith => email@example.com.
- Rob White => firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In both cases, replace "@yoursite.org" with the actual ending of your organization's email address.
There are several advantages to using "@yoursite.org" for these email addresses:
- Makes it very easy for you to scan your list and see who still has not updated their email address.
- If someone registers with these email addresses, their confirmation emails will be sent to your organization's servers (and likely discarded since you do not have valid email addresses for these people).
- Finally, confirmation emails will NOT be sent to an email address belonging to someone else (which would be a security breach of a member’s confidential info).